Monday, January 27, 2014

The Great Gatsby and To Kill a Mockingbird and Your Choice

Leave a comment below to let me know you read this last blog post.  Thank you!

Our next novel will be  The Great Gatsby.  Please read this novel and be ready to discuss by March 11th.  We will meet March 11th at my house from 12:30-2:00. Think BOOK DISCUSSION.  No lecture involved. You will be the teachers and thinkers for this novel. I'll ask some leading questions and then it's all you. 

On April 15th we will meet again (same bat time: same bat location).   I decided to let you choose your own novel to read for this meeting.  It may be any novel from the beginning of American Literature until the present.  You must tell me the name of the novel and you must also receive your parents approval for the novel you choose.

Of Mice and Men
Catcher in the Rye
Age of Innocence
The Giver
Huck Finn
Grapes of Wrath
As I Lay Dying
etc... the titles are endless.

You will present a short 5 minute book report/presentation on your novel. This is NOT TO BE TURNED IN TO ME!   The goal of the presentation is to summarize the story for your classmates.  This can also include a critique.  The presentation style/mode will be up to you.  I'll accept just about anything....as long as it's your own work.  :)

On May 13th we will meet to discuss the final novel of the semester.  To Kill a Mockingbird. :) Again think BOOK DISCUSSION.  (Please note: If NITOC ends up being May 13th we will not meet... we'll just use the honor system for reading this book if that ends up being the case.

Seniors are excused from the last novel of the semester.  Happy Graduating!

One final note:
I can not emphasize enough how proud I am of each one of you.  You are all very gracious students and hard working.  Thank you for being so kind to me and patient.  I've enjoyed learning with you through this class.
Love each and every one of you! Mrs. Butler

18 comments:

  1. I am fourth. I'm not sure what that means.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were three comments before you. Come on Jared! Try to keep up. :)

      Delete
  2. I don't usually leave people in anticipation, but when I do

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok so my only feeling right now. YES im so glad im a senior!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haudidhsjjdkdjdhhskd uejdjdjdjsk jussi jsmmnhu cmak

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Stephen! I'm glad i'm NOT a senior because I LIKE reading! AND I like Mrs Butler! So there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Mrs. Butler, this class has been really good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much, Mrs. Butler! This was my favorite class all year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for your work and insight into this class Mrs. Butler!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for doing this class, Mrs. Butler!! We absolutely loved it :)

    ReplyDelete